Hi Laura,

You should check out several projects up here in Scotland.

First is the Wilsontown project undertaken by Forestry Commission Scotland on a former iron smelting works, abandoned and later planted under forestry, since researched and interpreted with the local community by a good friend of mine: http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/activities/heritage/industrial-heritage-sites/wilsontown and http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/news/1437-new-survey-techniques-helped-piece-together-the-historic-environment-at-wilsontown-ironworks

Next is the Inner Forth Landscape Initiative (who I have the privilege of being the Interpretation Officer for). This is an HLF funded landscape partnership in a very industrial area. Our Heritage projects are all connected with industry in one form or another, and all are engaging with communities: These are - Cambuskenneth Watergate and Harbour, A Tale of Two Estates, Forth Crossings, The Hidden Remains of Higgins Neuk, Memories of Mining and Researching Our Local Heritage. All can be found here: http://www.innerforthlandscape.co.uk/projects/project-explorer

Pits, Ponies, People and Stories is linking communities to mining heritage in South Lanarkshire: http://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/info/200165/local_and_family_history/1386/pit_ponies_people_and_stories

Finally, the legacy of Scotland's Rural Past - while not an industrial themed project, might yet offer some ideas for engaging communities with the historic landscape http://www.scotlandsruralpast.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=466&Itemid=364

All the best,

Brian

Brian Wilkinson