Hi Gwenaëlle, here there is a resume of the DICOM characteristics for every T1 image... I would like to know if, looking at this more specific information, you could tell me if going ahead and which are the parameters I should include in the GLM to be fair with the analysis and get reliable results.

I have been looking to the paper you sent it to me about VBM analyses with ADNI-1 and ADNI-2 series with SPM8 and how there were differences between GM and WM stimations depending on the acquisition parameters.

Having selected only the same machine and model with more or less similar acquisition parameters...my sample has been reduced from 154 to 69. And I still have to look for any other problems that could arise by checking image by image individually.

Here there are the characteristics:

Acquisition plane: SAGITTAL
Sequence: MPRAGE
Field Strength: 3T
Pulse sequence: GR/IR
Slice thickness: 1
Flip Angle: 9
TE: mainly 2.98, some of them 2.52 or 2.27
TR: mainly 2300, some of them 1900
TI: 900
Pixel spacing: 1 x 1
Matrix: mainly, 240 x 256 x 176...others 256 x 256 x 176

I would be more than grateful if I could hear about your experience, always helpful in this forum.

Yours sincerely,

Rosalia.

Hi Rosalia,

If you have high enough a sample size, then yes, it is definitely preferable.

As you say, it is also important to have the same protocol, not just the same machine, as clearly demonstrated in this study: A voxel-based morphometry comparison of the 3.0T ADNI-1 and ADNI-2 volumetric MRI protocols. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25092796

Cheers,
Gwenaëlle

Gwenaëlle Douaud, PhD
Associate Professor & MRC Career Development Fellow

FMRIB Centre, University of Oxford
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington
OX3 9DU Oxford UK
Switchboard: +44 (0) 1865 222 493