Dr. Webster and Dr. Winkler,

Thank you for your responses. I tried running the analysis using only my variable of interest (i.e., only 1 EV), and some results were significant at .10 but not .05, which is a bit more of what I would have expected. Therefore, I am starting to think there is something going on with my model.

Dr. Winkler, with regard to your suggestion (i.e., adding a column of 1s), would the contrast setup remain the same? That is, I would now have the following, where age, sex, and education have all been demeaned:

EV1  SDMT  Age  Sex  Edu
1        1     15     1     1.5
1        2       12    -1     2
1        3      -15    -1    -1.5
1        4      -12    1      -2 .... etc.

"Contrast & F-test":

      Title                    EV1    SDMT   Age   Sex   Edu
C1   Group mean        0         1        0       0      0
(If I demean the variable of interest (SDMT), do I still need to include a column of 1s?)

Then run the following:

% randomise_parallel –i all_FA_skeletonised –o tbss –m mean_FA_skeleton_mask –d comp1.mat –t comp1.con –n 5000 --T2

Thank you so much,
Cristina