Hi Tim,

Please see below:

On 12 February 2016 at 05:29, Timothy W. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Anderson,
>
> Thanks again for your reply! Could you explain how A, B, C, and D in your
> design corresponds to these 4 within-subjects scan conditions: Exp_pre,
> Exp_post, Control_pre, Control_post?
>
> In the first design that you sent, I understood them as A=Exp_pre,
> B=Exp_post, C=Control_pre, D=Control_post. However, in the second design,
> I'm not so sure.

Yes, this is the same for both designs.

> Our main research question is whether (Exp_post - Exp_pre ) >
> (Control_post - Control_pre),

This can be tested in the 2nd design directly: as you wrote, this is
testing (B-A)-(D-C) > 0. The contrasts marked with * can be used to
construct this one, and it will then be, for the for the first group:

B-A: -2 -1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 ...
D-C: 0 1 -1 0 0 0 0 0 ...
(B-A)-(D-C): -2 -2 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...

Repeating for the 2nd group gives:
(B-A)-(D-C): 0 0 0 -2 -2 0 0 0 ...

Since you want the difference between groups, then the final contrast is:
-2 -2 0 2 2 0 0 0 ...
The signs can be reversed to test the opposite.

This contrast, however, is already there, in the second design (3-way
interaction). It is the same because:

(A+D)-(B+C) = -[(B-A)-(D-C)]

That is, both ways lead to the same three way interactions.

> and whether there's a 3-way interaction with age group.

The two hypotheses, that is, (Exp_post - Exp_pre ) > (Control_post -
Control_pre) and 3-way interaction with age group are actually the same as
shown above.

> Perhaps that's what your design is testing, but I could use some
> clarification!

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Anderson