Hi Tim,

Please see below:

On 10 February 2016 at 05:24, Timothy W. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear FSL users,
>
> I'm hoping to receive some guidance in setting up a design matrix for the
> following experimental design:
>
> Mixed ANOVA with 2 within-subjects factors with 2 levels (time: pre and
> post, condition: experimental and control) and 1 between-subjects factor
> with 2 levels (age: young and old)
> There are 2 age groups, and each subject received 4 scans (Exp_pre,
> Exp_post, Control_pre, Control_post).

Before going forward, it's necessary to decide whether to consider either
'subject' or one of the two within-subject factors (e.g., condition) as a
random effect. This changes the design quite a lot. But see more below.

> What's the best way to set up a design matrix for detecting voxels
> exhibiting a significant Age x Condition x Time interaction?
>

> What I have tried:
>
> I understand that a simpler route would be to compute difference images
> (via fslmaths) and then run a 2-way mixed ANOVA on the differences
> (between-subjects: age group, within-subjects: condition). I've done this
> (following previous threads such as:
> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=FSL;e543cdaa.1510);
> however, I want to ensure that I am accounting for baseline differences
> (within subjects for the 2 conditions). I've tried entering each subject's
> pre-scans for both conditions as voxelwise nuisance covariates, which
> didn't seem to change the results of the 2-way MANOVA. So, now I'm
> wondering whether a more complex model is necessary--where the pre and post
> scans for both conditions are entered, rather than just the difference
> images.

From this it sounds you want each condition to be considered as a random
effect. In that case, the design at the link below. Note this design
doesn't give much flexibility to test other things, and the two contrasts
test the three-way interaction of age x condition x time (the two age
groups are represented by EVs 1 and 2.