Forgive me for troubling you all with what might be an elementary question, but I am looking to read everything I can about film composition with respect to montage.

My efforts would be bolstered tremendously if I knew of a term existing for this concept which was already in wide usage. I am surprised that I haven't been able to find such a term yet, but I would be even more surprised to learn it does not exist!

To be clear, I am not looking for information about how to compose still images. I am able to find plenty of information about composing moving images, but the material focuses on individual, independent shots, moving compositions within themselves. So I am specifically looking for information about how a viewer's attention is directed across joins between images (which may or may not move). Not specifically semantic stuff like continuity, either; definitely with respect to the frame, how much work the eyes do moving around the screen, pacing of jumps of attention across cuts versus moving within shots, etc. that kind of stuff.

I hope the question is of interest to the group at large. This is my first time posting.

Best,
Douglas Blumeyer
Stanford BA Film & Media Studies '07
-- To manage your subscription or unsubscribe from the Film-Philosophy list, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html -- Journal: http://www.film-philosophy.com/ Conference: http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/ --