From: Domenico Sergi [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:02 PM
Subject: Exhibition Launch- Here, Now

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/images/images_2/andy/hat-trick-design/horn01.jpg

http://www.sdcas.org.uk/wp-content/images/SDCAS_logo.png.pagespeed.ce.6nRi1NNeQV.png

Dear all, you are cordially invited to join us for the launch of Here, Now a new exhibition at the Horniman Museum and Gardens about newly arrived refugees and asylum seekers to South East London. This is a great opportunity to meet members of the local community and to raise a glass to the humanity we all share.

Please join us on the Monday 14th March at 6.30-8pm. Light snacks and drinks are provided. Please circulate to your contacts and RSVP to [log in to unmask] by 5pm on Monday 7th March.

Here, Now is a collaborative project delivered in partnership with photographer Nana Varveropoulou and Southwark Day Centre for Asylum Seekers. At a time when the media presents only one narrative about refugees, this project tells another side of the story by illustrating individuals' different experiences of migration to South East London.

Over four months, Nana worked alongside ten newly arrived migrants in the local area to produce a series of portraits. Throughout the project, individuals took an active role in how they were represented. Thinking about places that, in some way, are associated with their lives in London, each individual decided where and how they would be photographed as well as providing the text that accompanies their portrait. The resulting work offers a glimpse into life for new arrivals, their challenges, the ups and downs and the experiences we all share as Londoners.

All the best,

Dom

Domenico Sergi

Community Engagement Officer

Please note I work Wednesday and Thursday only.

My colleague Rachel Harrison  (Community Engagement Officer) works Monday to Wednesday.

Horniman Museum and Gardens

100 London Road Forest Hill, London SE23 3PQ

T: +44 (0)208  291 8725 (direct)

T: +44 (0)208 699 1872 x186

*********************************** ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds. To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html To contact the list owner, send an email to [log in to unmask]