From seeing them being gassed and beaten in the streets of Genoa in the G8 protests in 2001 by the carabinieri, to seeing thousands of them sing "Ciao Bella" at the tops of their voices in the streets of Florence during the European Social Forum in 2002, it's been my privilege to see and march with thousands of Giulios over the years. Italy seems to produce an unending stream of cheerful, bright-eyed young activists whose sheer rage at the corruption of globalizing capitalism always seems to be belied by their smiles, their happiness, their singing and drinking, their absolute refusal to be beaten down.

It stands to reason that a progressive activist like Giulio, obviously steeped in the left-wing politics of Italy, would choose some area of research involving social injustice and the struggles of the dispossessed. If it wasn't the PhD he chose, it seems certain that some other difficult, dangerous environment would have been his choice of work, informed by a loathing of poverty, injustice, suffering.

But what were Cambridge thinking, to authorize the research he chose to do? To say it was OK for him to arrive in Cairo in September last year to research independent trades unions which are still not recognised under law, making them effectively illegal and a target for the regime? In a country where thousands of protesters and mere standers-by have been imprisoned, tortured and disappeared? How is it conceivable that in a country where repressive violence by the regime is getting worse and where strikes and meetings by TUs have been frequently attacked by the army and police, that anyone thought this research was anything other than hanging a target on him? Someone whose left-progressive views and area of study would have made him a regime target at the same time his Italian citizenship would have made him a target for the Islamic opposition? What did the risk assessment for that look like?

Which seems monumentally, absurdly irrelevant in the face of the enormity of your death and manner of dying, Giulio, my best friend I never met, never drank with, never marched or sang with. So I just want to send you this, wherever you are, which is the version of Bella Ciao dedicated to Carlo Giuliani, the young activist killed by the police in Genoa:

Fuori dalla mia finestra il mondo si risveglia
Bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao
E trascina i miei sensi alla luce del sole
Perché ci sono delle cose che devo fare

Ora augurami buona fortuna, ti devo lasciare
Bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao
Con i miei amici andiamo verso la città,
Scuoteremo i Cancelli dell’Inferno

E gli diremo, noi gli diremo
Bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao
Che il nostro sole non è in vendita
E augureremo ai bastardi di cadere stecchiti

La prossima volta che mi vedrai forse starò sorridendo
Bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao
Sarò in prigione o forse in TV
E dirò: E’ la luce del sole che mi ha portato qua!

Dr Jon Cloke
LCEDN Network Manager
MEGS Research Associate
Lecturer - Geography Department