From: A forum for critical and radical geographers <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of simone tulumello <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2016 9:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: In memory of Giulio Regeni

Dear all,
thank you Ugo for bringing this up to debate here and thanks Bhaskar for sharing the open letter.
I am deeply shocked, as an "academician", as an Italian, as an European, as a human being.
Let me add something.
This is the second time in few months that we mourn the death of a fellow. In my drafts folder, there was a reflection I had written after the Paris attacks in November and the death of Matthieu Giroud, which I finally did not send - I copy it below.
Maybe it's time for this group to take a step further, to "reaffirm publicly the need to think critically", even more today as we experience more violence produced by the vicious circle that different forms of terror have been reinforcing in the last few years.
Are we ready for this endeavour?
Best wishes
Simone

Dear critters,
this is sad news, and thanks Myriam for sharing with us.
I feel the absurdity of this violence. At the same time, I firmly believe that "critical thinking" is the worst enemy of terror and war; and that's why the main political goal of terror is polarising the public ("us" and "them") against any free thinking.
Dark times are ahead, times with less freedom, more war, less open debate.
I am not sure this forum is some kind of community or not - for sure it's a place where we share some ideas about the world.
Should we try and think a way to reaffirm publicly the need to think critically, to question the status quo, to tackle structural issues at the grounds of violence and terrorism?
I don't know how (an open letter in many languages signed by those who wish may be a point of departure?), but I believe we should try.
It's the best way we can honour the memory of a fellow of us.
Bes wishes,
Simone

Dear colleagues

An open letter has been started by Giulio's PhD supervisor, and is available to sign at this link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fulZt-YNrsvK6hn7hEU7AC-A2yoTEJzoodFRXyjA_OY/viewform?fbzx=-1880109545737946681

I have just signed, using the link above, so I hope this works.

Best wishes.

Bhaskar