"Managing the rural Nexus: exploring if and how we can manage for multiple goals" - 2nd Call for Papers for RGS-IBG ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 2016, Royal Geographical Society, London, 30th August – 3rd September 2016.

Organisers: Kerry Waylen (The James Hutton Institute) and Chris Short (The Countryside and Community Research Institute, University of Gloucestershire).

Session co-sponsors: the Planning and Environment Research Group and Rural Geography Research Group of the RGS-IBG

Abstract: Rural spaces are often subject to multiple goals, and can potentially support multiple functions, benefits and/or services. How can such systems be managed and governed effectively? Recognising their potential to support multiple services and goals is not by itself sufficient. Managing the nexus requires collaboration to share knowledges, negotiate different values, agree priorities and implement management actions. Therefore, the aim of our session is to share ideas and experiences about these interconnected activities, in order to support 'nexus management'. This session brings together those who are working with, studying and/or developing tools and approaches intended to allow us manage for multiple goals. Our focus is on rural areas but represents many sectors covering water, land, service industries, energy production and cultural landscapes, i.e. all those who plan and manage our complex semi-natural systems to provide multiple services to society. We see rural setting as complex social-ecological systems with various, sometimes conflicting decision-making processes and links between the State and local actors. Relevant contributions can reflect on settings, interventions, and evaluations. Do certain tools or techniques seem helpful for supporting nexus management? Is advice on promoting inter- multi- or trans-disciplinarity helpful? Are certain institutional settings more amenable to nexus management than others? Do specific sectors offer transferable lessons to others? Finally, in order to support further learning, how can we evaluate nexus management? What tools or criteria might assist us in doing that evaluation? Overall, do we have everything we need for nexus management?

Contributions: We invite contributions from academics, planners, private sector and/or practice groups with experiences of nexus management and any associated policy processes. These groups may include: those who have been charged with managing complex systems for multiple goals; those who have set out to co-construct research questions with those involved in managing the nexus; and those who have sought to research nexus management to illustrate and understand its impact. We are particularly interested in contributions that critically assess how to evaluate and assess the effectiveness of projects that seek multiple outcomes/goals.

Prospective presenters should email the conveners ([log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]) with an abstract (200-400 words) and indicate their preferred presentation format, by 11th February 2015.

We plan a 2-part session, incorporating space for conventional 15-minutes presentations, together with 3-minute speed-presentations and facilitated interaction. The use of Powerpoint is optional. We wish to encourage productive dialogue. A brief precis of the session and main points arising from discussion will be circulated to all participants at the end of the session.