We particularly welcome applicants from Geographers.

Best wishes

Parvati

Postgraduate Research Funding

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences; Based in Milton Keynes Campus

circulation date : 04/02/2016

closing date : 08/03/2016

Full-time studentships £14,057 per annum (2016) Ref: RD/SS/23
Full-time or part-time fee waivers Ref: RD/SS/24

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences invites applications for four full-time PhD studentships (three years) and two PhD fee waivers, full-time (three years) or part-time (six years), commencing October 2016.

The Faculty has a thriving research culture and is engaged in world-class, critical and agenda setting research that has a strong focus on social justice, impact and public engagement. We are committed to the enhancement and development of this culture as a priority in our mission.

To this end, we are looking to fund studentships in Geography, International Development and Sociology. Each of these areas is broadly defined, and we welcome applications which can be supervised with or across the Faculty's six departments: Economics, Geography, Politics and International Studies, Psychology, Social Policy and Criminology, and Sociology.

Further details of our PhD programmes and information on how to apply can be found on the following site http://www.open.ac.uk/socialsciences/research/students/index.php

You will have at least a 2:1 as a first degree, a relevant master's degree and be interested in conducting research at a doctorate level in one of the following broad research areas:

- Geography including: Space and power; Culture and practice; and Environment and politics.

- International Development including: Agrarian and environmental innovation; Human Capabilities and/or happiness; Strengthening health and education systems; Migration and human rights; Regional and global governance; Inequality and Politics; and Economics of development.

- Sociology including: Culture, economy and the social; Citizenship and governance; The psycho-social; Intimacy and sexuality; and Crime, harm, policing and regulation.

Please see Further Particulars for more information on research environment within the Faculty.

Applicants must normally reside in the UK for the duration of the full-time studentship.

For pre-submission enquiries, prospective applicants may write to Dr Shonil Bhagwat, Director of Research Degrees, Faculty of Social Sciences on the email below.

Completed application forms, together with a Research Proposal and a covering letter indicating your suitability and reasons for applying must be sent to the email address below.

Please mark clearly which funding scheme you are applying for, although one application to both schemes is permissible.

Closing date: 3 March 2016 at 5 pm

https://intranet-gw.open.ac.uk/employment/images/web.gif

Information for Applicant

https://intranet-gw.open.ac.uk/employment/images/pdfg.gif

Further particulars

APPLY

https://intranet-gw.open.ac.uk/employment/images/appformline.gif

https://intranet-gw.open.ac.uk/employment/images/transparent.gif

https://intranet-gw.open.ac.uk/employment/images/transparent.gif

email: [log in to unmask] Dr Shonil Bhagwat - for pre-submission enquiries
email: [log in to unmask] For completed application forms

Full application forms are available from http://www.open.ac.uk/postgraduate/research-degrees/how-to-apply.

Equal opportunity is University policy.

Please quote reference 9301

top of page