Like Esther, I am on the Cataloguing and Indexing Committee.

The main project I am responsible for at  The London Library is a retrospective cataloguing project that began in 1999, so 8 years before I arrived, and which I estimate has another 20 years to run.

I think large-scale projects like ours present their own unique challenges but being responsible for our ongoing cataloguing of new acquisitions too, the maintenance of our in-house classification system as well as collection promotion I have also been involved in much smaller projects. I'm sure that in our line of work we all have to manage a project sooner or later, however large or small. I haven't had any formal training but I agree with Lynne that it is mainly a matter of common sense and trial and error.