Somebody may already have suggested that, but try different linker lengths between the MBP and your protein? However, in my experience solubility enhancers rarely help. They may make your protein soluble, but that doesn't mean it's properly folded. Have you tried other expression hosts? (You didn't mention where your protein is from.)

/Julia

On 15/02/16 18:40, Elias Fernandez wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear colleagues,

Thanks for the many approaches to address this problem. I neglected to mention that

1.       We have an N-terminal His6 tag to the MBP-fusion and first purify the complex with Ni-NTA. Thus, it’s likely that either the fusion protein is getting cleaved or it’s a transcription/translation problem.

2.       We get approx. 50:50 MBP and fusion but the total MBP + MBP-fusion are very low.

3.       We can partially separate the two by size exclusion.

4.       We’ve not had much luck with other tags, such as SUMO and GST.

Best regards,

Elias

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julia Griese
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 10:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] MBP fusion

Dear Elias,

While, as suggested by Mark and others, there can be many reasons for your problems, such as your fusion protein being largely insoluble, I would second Michael's suggestion to put a His tag in front of the MBP. Ni-NTA has much much higher capacity than amylose (and is also much cheaper), so you can increase your yield hugely by using the MBP merely as a solubility enhancer, combined with a His tag as the actual affinity tag. It has the additional advantage of getting rid of host MBP of course.
I don't know which plasmid you're using, or if you secrete your fusion protein or not, but an easy way to put a His tag in front of the MBP that I used once was to clone MFG (my favourite gene) into pMAL-c2x (i.e. the cytosolic version), and then cut out the whole MBP-MFG construct from the plasmid with NdeI (cuts just 5' of malE) and whatever I had used at the 3' end of MFG, and put that into pET28 - thus generating a His6-(thrombin site)-MBP-(factor Xa site)-MFG fusion. I had had problems with low yield with the original pMAL-c2x construct, but this His6-MBP construct solved all my problems.

Cheers,

Julia