(1) try various things anyway :)
(2) as previously noted, Hg loves thiols like the proverbial monkey loves the oblong yellow fruit
(3) I've soaked lanthanoids up to pH 11 with variable (but non-zero) success
(4) iodine is always fun

Artem
www.harkerbio.com
"harder than the rest (borrowed from KMFDM)"

- Cosmic Cats approve of this message