Hi Bernhard,

 <snip>

> (c)    looking at the next non-severe pinkish clashes, I notice that most
involve
> methyl groups,
>
> and if I eyeball them they are precisely staggered @60 deg around the
H3C-X
> torsion. But when 2 Leu
>
> for example are involved, I doubt that they face off at precisely that
torsion
> angle, because
>
> energetically this is a periodic potential. I think each methyl group
torsion
> would give a little
>
> bit, and voila, pink gone.
>
> In this case, I worry less about the pink, but how is this treated when
riding
> Hs are added in
>
> refinement, for the purpose of improved VdW restraints?  Is this torsion
> potential used (as
>
> in MD) or to we assume the 'hard' 60 deg stagger or nothing conformation?
> Because if the
>
> torsion gives, also the C position might change slightly, ultimately
resulting in
> a more realistic
>
> model. Has anyone played with that?
I cannot say anything about the inner workings in Refmac, but the CG-CD1 can
CGCD2 are defined as rotatable bonds in the CCP4 dictionary:

loop_
_chem_comp_tor.comp_id
_chem_comp_tor.id
_chem_comp_tor.atom_id_1
_chem_comp_tor.atom_id_2
_chem_comp_tor.atom_id_3
_chem_comp_tor.atom_id_4
_chem_comp_tor.value_angle
_chem_comp_tor.value_angle_esd
_chem_comp_tor.period
 LEU      chi1     N      CA     CB     CG       180.000   15.000   3
 LEU      chi2     CA     CB     CG     CD2      180.000   15.000   3
 LEU      hh1      CB     CG     CD1    HD13      60.000   30.000   3
 LEU      hh2      CB     CG     CD2    HD23      60.000   30.000   3

So if you use torsion restraints (not default in Refmac AFAIK), you get a
penalty, but the hydrogens can give way. In default settings the hydrogens
will also give way enough. At least as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Robbie