Hi Craig

We use the Blackboard Test tool for some exams.

1.   More often it would be students taking the exam simultaneously in different adjacent computer labs (with different invigilators), and ideally a couple of people familiar enough with Blackboard to sort out technical issues to look in on each room.  It’s useful to be able to see in the Grade Centre shortly after the exam starts if anyone has failed to start.

However sometimes numbers do result in shifts throughout the day:  in such cases questions need to be drawn from a large pool.

2.  We recommend certain settings:  Force Completion (so only 1 attempt is allowed: the exam cannot be re-accessed later outside the exam room even if the link was still available, which it shouldn’t be), Auto-submit: Off (so if something occurs that requires everybody or an individual to get an extra 5 or 10 minutes, the Test doesn’t submit when the timer hits zero).  We also recommend tutors set up a hidden duplicate link to the same Test, so that if a student accidentally Submits the whole exam after the first question, or kicks out the plug, or something similar, we can unhide the duplicate for that student and set them off again.  For this reason it’s better not to Randomise the question order.  (The tutor should also have paper scripts as per Duncan’s reply).  We also recommend displaying all questions at once so students can review their answers as they can in a paper exam.

3.  No.  It would be good to do that but we don’t, so you need to keep an eye on what’s going on (up to 30 in the labs, generally try to have fewer though).

Hope this helps,

Dave Cheseldine