Hi Craig

In answer to your questions:

1)      Do you encourage ‘shifts’ where cohorts sit the exam in shifts throughout the day to space out numbers?
The largest cohorts we tend to have are around 180 candidates, we split them across 3 computer clusters and restrict access(using ip address) to just those clusters for the period the exam is running.

2)      Do you have any specific policies in your examination regulations about online exams (e.g. policies around network failure, technical issues etc)
Yes we do, so for example, if a student’s PC fails we will move them once (and add a small amount of time) a second failure will normally result in the student reverting to a paper script.

3)      Do you ‘lock down’ your PC’s during examinations (we are testing Impero and would be happy to share our findings)

We deploy an e-assessment desktop during the exams which allows us to restrict student access to a range of options such as the Internet, various programs and their home drives.

The on-line exams are run in partnership between the Exams Office, IT Services, Disability Advisory and Support Service and E-Learning and all four devote considerable resources to it. During the recent January exams period we ran 25 on-line exams with a total of over 870 different papers all of which submitted successfully.

I hope this helps

Duncan

Duncan Greaves. Assistant eLearning Manager, Faculty. eLearning Team (FeLT). Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences. Room 3.35, Simon Building. Tel: 0161 306 0456