Dear all,

Jan David Hauck (UCLA) and I are organizing a panel for the upcoming AAA
meetings in Minneapolis (November 16-20, 2016), about language and ontology
in the indigenous Americas, in order to bring some of the recent
discussions on the ontological turn to bear on work done in linguistic
anthropology.

Eduardo Kohn kindly agreed to be our discussant.  If you're interested
please send your abstract offline to <[log in to unmask]>  and  <

Abstract:

*Language in the Amerindian Imagination*

*A particular imagination of language as autonomous medium of
representation has played a central role in the constitution of the
naturalist ontology (Descola) as it facilitated the scientific and
political separation of nature and society (Latour), as well as the
establishment of all kinds of smaller and greater divides between speakers
of “proper” languages and those of dialects, mixed languages, or otherwise
“other” forms of communication (Bauman and Briggs 2003).Ethnographies of
the indigenous Americas have provided rich evidence of alternative
ontologies, while also documenting a wide range of verbal practices that
defy the privileging of the symbolic, representational, denotational, or
referential properties of language (and culture).  And these ethnographies
describe alternative modes of relation between humans and non-humans in
which language can be twisted, broken, or transformed through indigenous
voices.  Bringing various lines of research together, in this panel we want
to explore the place of language in Amerindian ontologies.  If the notion
of language usually invoked in linguistic and anthropological scientific
practice is based on a "naturalist" or "modern" understanding of the world,
what would a theory of language look like that springs from radically
different metaphysical underpinnings?  Is language an intersubjective
practice, a bodily habit; is it a part of the soul or double?  Does
language possess a subjectivity or agency of its own? We are looking for
contributions that explore these and related issues through the analysis of
Amerindian linguistic and semiotic ideologies, mythology, and metapragmatic
discourse, ritual practices and verbal art, or everyday language use and
interaction among and between species.  We are especially interested in
issues raised by recent transformations of Amerindian lifeworlds and
language practices and language and cultural contact.  By situating this
panel regionally in indigenous North and South America, we hope to
stimulate a conversation that is based on a common ethnographic
understanding of this area, but relevant comparative studies from other
parts of the world are equally welcome.*

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*