Dear All,

Although rare horn preservation makes this technique of marginal importance, horn rings in cows are regarded rather accurate  indicators of the number of calvings in Hungary, possibly being the greatest strain on otherwise healthy animals in temperate climate husbandry.

"Depressions" (i.e. resorption) on horn cores could indicate more stressful episodes as discussed rather widely in sheep (Hatting, Albarella etc.).

Best, Laszlo

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Paul L Halstead <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 07 January 2016 11:26
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] ageing cattle by horn rings?

And some Greek herders age goats this way

On 7 January 2016 at 10:02, Sue Millard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
To a certain extent one can also age sheep by the same process, though as their horns tend to be
ridged anyway it's much less helpful. Having had a "handle" come off while holding sheep for routine
dosing I can say there are certainly weak places in horns after a bad winter.

Sue M

-- Graham and Sue Millard
Daw Bank, Greenholme, Tebay, Penrith, Cumbria CA10 3TA. 01539 624636.
http://www.dawbank.co.uk/
Attached PM$, MIME and other non-readable files contain information necessary for your e-mail application
to read this message. They are not viruses and can be ignored.

--
Paul Halstead
Professor of Archaeology

The Department of Archaeology received a 100% student satisfaction score in the 2015 National Student Survey

The University of Sheffield was voted number one for student experience: Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2014-15

The Department of Archaeology holds an Equality Challenge Unit Bronze Gender Equality Charter Mark