I think another viable, supplementary approach is to use a reliability analysis. This shows how stable your findings are, and gives some indication if they are likely to replicate. You can use bootstrapping, or the jackknife which Marko proposed (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0035578), which I used and found very informative, as well as it provided a post-hoc power analysis for all my clusters.

From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tibor Auer
Sent: January-12-16 8:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] Reviewer's comment: "Liberal" thresholds in VBM

Dear Lasse

A threshold is always a trade-of between specificity and sensitivity: a more stringent threshold is more specific but less sensitive. A correction (FWE, FDR) does not affect this behavioural, because they are on the same ROC curve. Applying cluster extent threshold may help a bit, but only if it is based on statistics (probability of cluster extents). Long story short, a threshold only tells you how much you can trust in the result.

You can also run a power analysis, to figure out whether you need more sensitivity at the expense of specificity (i.e. lowering threshold) or at the expense of measurement (i.e. more subjects).

Another option is to use non-parametric (SnMP) rather than parametric test (http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.01863).

Vale,

Tibor

Auer, Tibor M.D. Ph.D.