​*Call for Papers and Panels: Science in Public 2016*

University of Kent, Canterbury, 13-15 July 2016

The annual Science in Public <http://scienceinpublic.org/> conference is an
occasion for cross-disciplinary debate and discussion and a forum for
sharing all work considering the relationships between science, technology,
medicine and their multiple publics. We welcome submissions from scholars
of, for example, science communication, history of science, science policy,
geography, psychology, literature, social or cultural studies and
practitioners of communication, engagement or the arts in relation to
science. Papers may relate to science in mass media, museums or online
spaces; public engagement and participation; popular science and its
histories; science, publics and policy; and science in fictions, art and
cinema.

The theme for this year’s conference, hosted by the Centre for the History
of the Sciences <http://www.kent.ac.uk/history/centres/sciences/index.html>
at the University of Kent, is * Science in Public: Past, Present and Future*.
We therefore particularly welcome papers, panels, projects and sessions
that can draw on and speak to questions about science and the public across
different time periods or that consider how historical studies might
influence current thinking, or vice versa. Opening and closing plenary
sessions supporting this theme are from the interdisciplinary projects
Constructing
Scientific Communities <http://conscicom.org/> (with Professors Sally
Shuttleworth and Chris Lintott) and Unsettling Scientific Stories
<http://unsettlingscientificstories.co.uk/>. We will also, on the Thursday,
have a strand focusing on comedy and science communication, including: a
panel session looking at its history, role and pitfalls; a workshop for
those who would like to use comedy in their own communication activities;
and a SiP-themed comedy gig.

We welcome traditional papers and panel sessions and innovative formats,
including discussion, performance or practice-based workshops. Abstracts
can include historical or contemporary topics. We aim to minimise
registration costs as far as possible.

Our thanks go to the British Society for the History of Science for
supporting this conference, allowing us to subsidise student costs and
include our plenary sessions.

*Abstracts:* send abstracts of about 250 words, enquiries and queries to
Rebekah Higgitt ([log in to unmask]).

*Deadline:* 11 April 2016

Please share this call for papers widely across your networks. The hashtag
is #SiP2016 and details can be found online at
http://scienceinpublic.org/science-in-public-2016/. ​

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
• Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com