Birger:

<SNIP>
what do you mean with evidence?
<SNIP>

I observe three issues in this discussion, trying not to repeat but summarize many other good posts:

First, philosophical/conceptual/theoretical:
so long as the discussion remains at a philosophical level then evidence in an empirical sense is difficult, that is, "empirical - based on, concerned with, verifiable or observable experience rather than theory or pure logic.” Keep the discussion theoretical  to keep discussing, move the discussion into specific examples and what constitutes evidence can become quite clear. I observe that evidence (by definition) is a topic most appropriately approached empirically rather than through a priori reasoning. If you want to define evidence then look at 100 cases the purport to have evidence and identify patterns. I stand guilty of using an evidence-based approach to define evidence. Tautology or logic, you decide.

Second and third, we seem to be discussing two different meanings of evidence-based design
1. design using contemporary evidence:
design for a particular context is based on evidence gathered during the design process. Making observations to guide problem framing would be one Don mentioned, testing prototypes for effectiveness in achieving metrics would be another. Perhaps you would like to call this design using specific, contemporary evidence (gathered during the design process).
2. design based on prior evidence:
design decisions can be based upon evidence from design research and research in other fields that have developed proven principles, laws, rules of thumb for specific contexts. Employing typographic principles corresponding to readability research is one example of this form of evidence-based design, the design of symbols based on users’ mental images is another example. Perhaps you would like to call this design decisions based on prior evidence (created beforehand and applicable to many cases).

You asked what "you" mean with evidence, these are observations in that direction. Specific examples abound if you will agree to operate empirically - play the evidence game with evidence.

Best...

Mike Zender
University of Cincinnati
Editor, Visible Language