Not all professionals ignore the academic discourse,.

My PhD is in Design Research and Corporate Communication Strategies. I have done it while I was holding a post of Vice President / Director of Corporate Communications.

The reason why I have done the PhD was because I wanted to become better at what I do and to find better and more effective ways of doing things. It was not possible for me to achieve that just by practice. I still think that doing the PhD was the best thing I could have done to upgrade my research skills and to develop further as a professional. Research skills, by the way, are not something that you can randomly pick up. You need to be trained in them.

Also, it might come as a surprise to some, but in many places in Europe and in Asia it is not uncommon for many professionals (as well as politicians) to hold PhDs. The academic discourse does not make you incapable of working as a practitioner. In fact, most of my professors when I was studying in Europe and Asia were high profile industry experts that also held academic posts.