Dear Derek,

I re read Flusser’s essay and I confirmed my first impression. It is a wonderful cunning piece of text but it is not an etymological essay.
The problem is that he do not provides examples in ancient texts. However, his intuitions are generally right.
Sometimes etymological sources from etymological texts do not provide examples. They simply assume that things happened in a certain way because of similarities with other words and scholars have been repeating the same assumption over the years. I looked upon texts and dictionaries of the times in appreciation. If there is anyone that can provide any examples from the same times that contradict what I read, I’m more that glad to learn more.
Plus, I chose the only dictionaries available in some periods. For instance, I quote Cowdrey’s table of hard words because it was the first English dictionary. Bailey’s because it was the first Etymological Dictionary. I do not quote Samuel Johnson’s because he mostly repeats and corrects Bailey. I quote Noah Webster’s because it was the first American English dictionary.
Recently I discovered that Samuel Johnson (1755, p.574) was the first to document “Designer” and not only “Design” (I’ll use this in future articles)

Designer
"1. “A plotter; a contriver; one that lays schemes.

It has therefore always been both the rule and practice of such designers to suborn the publick interest, to countenance and cover their private. Decay of Pity.

2. One that forms the idea of any thing in painting or sculpture.

There is a great affinity between, designing and poetry; for the Latin poets, and the designers of the Roman medals, lived very near one another, and were bred up to the same relish for wit and fancy. Addison”
http://johnsonsdictionaryonline.com/?page_id=7070&i=574

It is clear to me that the 2nd meaning was the one that originated in the following century Design Schools in order to educated people to be like second and that the 1st meaning (hopefully) disappeared.

I have no reason to believe that Johnson was wrong. He provides examples and repeats Wotton’s text cited in Bailey’s 1731 edition corrected from the original.
My conviction after reading this influential and the only dictionaries available at the time is that Design was the final unified spelling of different words from different origins and meaning different things. One of the meanings, that I suppose was imported by Wotton from the Italian “Disegno”  was idea in painting or sculpture, drawing. “The idea which an artist endeavors to execute or express” (Johnson 1755, p. 574).

I therefore beg you and everyone to find me a use of the word Design prior to 1580 related with Art or any type of creation technical or other.
I also beg you to provide me with any text from the early 1800’s that may indicate that the Normal School of Design also known as the Government School of Design was created having in consideration any other meaning of Design different from  “The idea which an artist endeavors to execute or express”
I’ll be one week almost out, so, my greetings to everyone.
Eduardo