Dear Terry,

Dictionaries do provide definitions. This is not merely a folk term. A few posts back, I posted the definition of what it is to define something.

There are two kinds of dictionaries, descriptive and prescriptive. The virtue of Merriam-Webster’s is that it is a descriptive dictionary. It describes language as it is used, and it defines words based on actual usage.

If you want a prescriptive dictionary for the design field, you’ll have to assemble one and publish it. If enough people in the field agree, then it will become a widely used prescription.

For now, I really plan to follow my earlier intention by withdrawing from the thread. I don’t want to tease out more meanings without getting to key issues, and I feel that this will lead to a grumpy confrontation.

My apologies,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia