Dear Berger and all,

The definition of evidence from its etymology is 'that which can be seen
obviously by eye or mind'

Evidence always and only comprises three components:

1. Reasoning and explanation

2. Data (May be quantitative, qualitative, theoretical, perceptual...)

3. A speculative opinion or statement to be tested.

The' reasoning and explanation'  shows how the 'Data'  makes obvious to the
eye or mind that the ' speculative opinion or statement to be tested' is
true/false/indeterminable/structured or its outcome might be predicted.

Of the three, correctness of  'reasoning and explanation' is the most
important.

In some cases (deictic evidence), the data is almost all there is and the
amount of reasoning is small. For example, if you hold up a cup and say
'this is a cup and I can drink from it' (note all three elements of evidence
are there).

In other cases (logical evidence), the reasoning is almost all there is and
data is small. This can be seen in mathematical proofs using axioms as data.

In other cases, (casuistic evidence), both reasoning and data are small.
This can be seen in religious argument 'Why is X true? Because god (or some
one's granny) says so'.

In other cases, (e.g. rhetoric evidence, and false evidence), it is not
possible to use the evidence in research terms to justifiably test the
'speculative opinion or statement to be tested'.

This position seems to me to be the most viable of all those on evidence
related to evidence-based design, in that I can find serious flaws in all
the other positions.

Best wishes,
Terence

---
Dr Terence Love
PhD(UWA), BA(Hons) Engin. PGCEd, FDRS, PMACM, MISI
Love Services Pty Ltd
PO Box 226, Quinns Rocks
Western Australia 6030
Tel: +61 (0)4 3497 5848