Public event: ‘Women Engineers in the Great War and after’

Dana Centre, Science Museum, London 23rd April 2016

Women’s professional participation in UK engineering began in earnest during the First World War. The Women’s Engineering Society was set up in 1919 to sustain this initiative during peacetime.

Our event aims to raise awareness of early women engineers in Britain and to share knowledge of how they worked together.

Speakers include Henrietta Heald on Rachel Parsons (1885 - 1956), Nina Baker on Dorothée Pullinger (1894 - 1986), and Anne Locker on Margaret Partridge (1891 - 1967).

Further brief contributions are invited from any who wish to offer posters or short (5 minute) presentations on women in technical professions in any country during the relevant period, or other related projects in which they are involved.

We particularly welcome relevant contributions from community groups working on First World War projects. All such contributors can request reasonable expenses to be reimbursed

If you would like to contribute, please contact the event’s organisers by 29th of January with a summary proposal of up to 250 words: Graeme Gooday [log in to unmask]  and Sally Horrocks [log in to unmask]

This free event will include open discussions, practical activities, and an opportunity to plan for events to mark the Women’s Engineering Society centenary in 2019; it will also highlight historical resources available in the archives of the Institution of Engineering & Technology and of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

Registration is expected to open in early February.

This event is sponsored by the University of Kent Gateways to the First World War project; the  University of Leeds Legacies of War project, The Science Museum, and the Women’s Engineering Society.

Graeme Gooday,

Head of School, Professor of the History of Science and Technology,

School of Philosophy, Religion  and History of Science,

Woodhouse Lane,

University of Leeds,

LEEDS  LS2 9JT, UK.

 E-mail: [log in to unmask]

 Phone: 0113 343 3274

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/people/20048/philosophy/person/860/graeme_gooday

To contact my PA, email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/people/20048/philosophy/person/860/graeme_gooday

Patently Contestable, https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/patently-contestable

Winner of the BSHS Pickstone prize 2014: http://www.bshs.org.uk/winter-2014