Thanks David! I´m familiar with the Icelandic material (and bits and pieces, though all to few, from mainland Scandinavia). What I´m really looking for is continental (including Scandinavian) or English parallels.

Meg

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of David Winter [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2016 11:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] churches with 'local' rights

You might want to look at Helgi Þorláksson (ed), /Church Centres in Iceland from the 11th to the 13th Century and their Parallels in other Countries/ (Reykholt, Snorrastofa 2005). The introductory essays (Benedikt Eyþórsson, "History of the Icelandic Church 1000-1300: Status of Research," and Orri Vésteinsson, "The Formative Phase of of the Icelandic Church ca 990 1240 AD") are quite useful. There´s also an essay by Helgi Skúli Kjartansson, "Thin on the Ground. Legal Evidence of the Availability of Priests in 12th Century Iceland," that might be helpful to you.