There has been discussion over on MEDTEXTL about the ORB website for
medieval studies, which seemingly disappeared after the death of its
administrator, Prof. Kathryn Talarico. With his permission, I'm x-posting a
sort of summary of the discussion from Laurent Brun, which details how the
archived site can be accessed, and raises the question of how important
medieval websites, content-rich but often quite vulnerable, can be given a
more secure future. As we've discussed ORB on this list before, I thought
this would be of broad interest. -- Paul

On 3 January 2016 at 03:15, Laurent Brun <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As Claire Fanger pointed out, The ORB is not gone (yet). A technical
> glitch has cut the domain name (the-orb.net) from the server at the
> College of Staten Island, but the files haven't moved:
> http://163.238.55.65/index.html
>
> The domain name the-orb.net will become available again on August 9th,
> unless someone can speed things up and manages to get in touch with
> Kathryn Talarico's heirs and transfer the domain ownership before it
> gets snatched by someone not interested in continuing Kathryn's work.
>
> In the meantime, I have set up a complete mirror at
> http://the-orb.arlima.net/ in case CSI decides to erase the original
> website. It is available "as is" -- no corrections or additions will
> be made.
>
> Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is a useful tool but it has its
> shortcomings, the most serious being that it usually doesn't record
> the whole website at any given date, so using it to piece together a
> website's hundreds or thousands of files isn't a solution for the
> faint of heart...
>
> I second wholeheartedly Julia Bolton Holloway's plea: "We really need
> a large mirror site of all useful medievalist websites to protect our
> material." I have myself yet to find a permanent repository to mirror
> arlima.net... suggestions are very much welcome.
>
> Laurent
>

> --
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014
 |  Australia
office: (07) 3267 4804  |  mobile: 044 882 4996