Dear Colleagues,

Once again we are delighted to have received some funding from the Education Section at the Chinese Embassy to run a Chinese New Year competition for the Year of the Monkey. It is open to any PRIMARY school that is teaching Mandarin. Entry will be limited to 10 schools which will be chosen impartially and randomly from those of you who submit your names to me by Friday 29th January. I will buy a special hat for the process. This year the Spring Festival runs from 8th February (New Year’s Day) to 22nd  February (Lantern Festival). As half-term falls right in the middle of this period, to allow enough time for your creativity to express itself, the closing date for receipt of entries will be Monday 29th February, with winners to be announced the following week. PLEASE REPLY TO ME AT [log in to unmask] NOT TO THE FORUM!

The subject this year is, of course the Monkey, and one Monkey in particular: Sun Wukong 孙悟空, the Monkey King in the novel The Journey to the West 西游记. We are asking you to create a 5 minute video/digital presentation illustrating some aspect of Sun Wukong’s adventures in the novel. We leave the format up to you. If you need inspiration, you may find it in the British Council’s Year of the Monkey New Year pack which you can download here: https://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.org/classroom-resources/list/year-monkey . Each of the chosen schools will receive £100 to fund the project. Detailed instructions will be issued to the chosen schools. The prize is £150, which I will present in person, to be spent on teaching materials to support Mandarin/Chinese studies in the winning school. All entries will be uploaded to the Confucius Institute website and shared with the wider Mandarin teaching community.

REMEMBER, PLEASE REPLY TO ME AT [log in to unmask] NOT TO THE FORUM!

Best wishes to all

James

James Trapp

Primary Network Coordinator for UCL IOE Confucius Institute

IOE Confucius Institute for Schools

UCL Institute of Education

University College London

20 Bedford Way