Many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for information about
primary school library systems (and Foyle library grants). I had some
very helpful replies and some requests for a summary, which can be found
below:

Comments about Junior Librarian:

I received confirmation that Junior Librarian is a good solution for
primary school libraries (cost aside).  I also received the suggestion
that the school could look into an online crowdfunding campaign to fund
the annual subscription to Junior Librarian. Alternatively, we could get
together with other local schools to purchase a shared system, which is
not something I had thought of and seems like an excellent idea to
explore, given the number of small schools locally.

Alternatives to Junior Librarian:

The following systems were suggested, but without any personal
experience of them:

http://247lib.com
https://www.libib.com

Several libraries (including HE) are using an open source system called
KoHa. Its advantages include cost and a large amount of support
available through the user community. Disadvantages for a small primary
school include the fact that you need tech knowledge to set it up.

A secondary school library is using MLS Eclipse 2, which is the
secondary version of Junior Librarian (an old version).

One person suggested that I check which system is in use at the
secondary school to which our school feeds as it would be a good idea to
get the children used to the same system.

Comments about Foyle Schools Library Programme

A few respondents welcomed the news that a grant exists for this
purpose.

I was also contacted by a librarian with experience of applying
successfully for these grants, who stressed the importance of
demonstrating that the library can be maintained (including any software
included in the bid) year on year. "Don't ask for what you can't
maintain" seems to be excellent advice that I will need to stress with
our new HT.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply with such helpful advice.

Kind regards,
Lindsay Jones

---
Reference Department
Cambridge University Library

We would like to have your opinion of the Library's service. Please send
your comments to [log in to unmask]