From: Tectonics & structural geology discussion list <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Mark Brandon <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Terms for an originally plane surface transected by cross-cutting faults

I agree that there is little use introducing new terms. That said, it is quite common for scientific fields to invent their own terms, when other fields have already have a working set of terms.

As an example, consider our terms, trend and plunge, as used for the orientation of a linear feature. Mathematics uses azimuth and polar angles. Astronomy uses azimuth and attitude. Studies of the Earth's magnetic field use declination and inclination for the local field direction. Recently, seismologists have invented their own terminology, azimuth and tilt, to describe the orientation of axial symmetry in the mantle for studies as measured by seismic anisotropy.

Also consider that there are multiple geometric definitions for planes in geology, such as strike and dip, and the downdip direction, and the pole (normal) to the plane. In mathematics, one would use the gradient, as defined in vector calculus.

I know that there is some work to adapt to new terms and units (e.g. miles to kilometers, kB to MPa), but there is a benefit in iterating toward using commonly used generic terms, in that it makes the field more assessable to students and other scientists.

Best,
Mark Brandon