Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our attempt of combining structural geology and petrology in a single interdisciplinary session at the upcoming EGU 2016 meeting to be held in Vienna, Austria (17-22 April 2016).
Please consider submitting an abstract and contribute to an exciting program!
We are happy to announce that the confirmed invited presentation will be given by the freshly announced MSA Dana medallist 2016 - Professor Sumit Chakraborty, Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany!

Session description TS6.10/GMPV4.6:
Chemo-mechanical transport in orogenic systems - from diffusion to detachments
Mass transport occurs and is recorded over a variety of length and time scales in orogenic systems. The mechanisms of mass transport have a wide range: e.g., migration of melts, fluid flow, element/isotope diffusion, mineral reactions, and brittle and ductile deformation. This session explores all factors controlling chemo-mechanical mass transport during orogenic processes (i.e., subduction, exhumation, seismic cycles, etc.). We seek contributions from a broad range of disciplinary approaches, such as geochemistry, geodesy, numerical / analogue modelling, tectonics, and more, to address key questions for orogenic systems: what mass transport processes operate at different length and time scales, how can we measure these, and to what extent are chemical and mechanical mass transport processes coupled?

Detailed information on the conference can be found at: http://www.egu2016.eu/
Information on the abstract submission is available at: http://egu2016.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html

Abstract deadline is January 13th - 13:00 CET

Best wishes,
Thomas Mueller, Alex Webb and Quin Wang

Dr. Thomas Mueller
Lecturer in metamorphic petrology/geochemistry
Institute of Geophysics and Tectonics
University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT

Phone: +44 (0)113 - 34 311 56
Web:  http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/