With regard to Linda's comments, some years ago I undertook a very difficult analytical task - to characterize chemical zoning in sodalite group minerals, mainly hauynes, from Tahitian volcanics (yes, metamorphic folks sometimes stray!).

Ideal sodalite contains roughly 24 wt% Na2O in a low-density zeolite-like structure, so presents extreme challenges for probe analysis. With a normal 1-micron fixed beam (15 kV, 20 nA) you can actually see the surface of the mineral bubbling. Our solution was to go with a 5-micron defocussed (not rastered) beam at 2 nA. We used Amelia Albite as our standard (not ideal, and I would now probably use something like jadeite) but it turned out well based on an oddly fortuitous circumstance. We set up a task on the probe to record Na K-alpha count rates at 0.1 sec intervals for 60 seconds to monitor loss of Na from the excitation volume. It turned out that Na counts dropped at almost exactly the same rates over that interval for a 2-micron 20 nA spot on Amelia compared to a 5-micron 2nA spot on end-member sodalite. The resulting analyses using this protocol ended up with excellent analytical totals and great stoichiometry.

For those who might be interested in this topic and who read French, there is a PhD thesis by Francis Autefage (1980) titled "Etude de la migration du sodium et du potassium dans les mineraux au cours de leur analyse a la microsonde electronique" [Study of the migration of sodium and potassium in minerals in the course of their analysis by electron microprobe] - Universite Paul Sabatier de Toulouse. It deals in detail with the process of sodium counts loss and I have found it a useful resource. It was published in part in the Bulletin de Mineralogie, 103, 48-53 (1980) "Variations de la teneur en sodium et en potassium dans des mineraux au cours de leur analyse a la microsonde electronique" (also in French) but I have not found any evidence of publication of this research elsewhere so far.

Bob T.

Dr. Robert Tracy
Professor of Geosciences
Associate Department Head