Dear Colleagues, Compliments of the Season!

We would like to draw your attention to the following  IGC session under the Metamorphic Processes Theme to be held in Cape Town, South Africa, 27 August to 4 September 2016:

"Metamorphic processes in early Earth Evolution"

Convenors: Eugene G. Grosch, Tim E. Johnson and Martin J. Whitehouse.

Given that the deadline is approaching on 31 January, please feel free to contact me or co-convenors if you are interested in submitting an abstract to this session (email adresses: [log in to unmask])

Invited Speakers:

Prof. Michael Brown - University of Maryland, US  (keynote)

Prof. Hugh Rollinson - Derby University, UK - Eoarchean processes, 3.8-3.7 Ga, Isua greenstone belt, Greenland)

Prof. Gary Stevens (Stellenbosch University, RSA - Early to Mesoarchean metamorphic processes in the 3.6 - 3.2 Ga, Barberton greenstone belt, South Africa and the Ancient Gneiss Complex Swaziland, Kaapvaal Craton)

Session Description:

This session focuses on metamorphic processes in the early Earth and the implications for its geodynamic evolution. Most data suggest that mantle temperatures were on average higher in the Archean eon. However, the nature of early Archean tectonics is hotly debated, and the timing for the onset of modern-style plate tectonics uncertain. We invite contributions from the fields of metamorphic petrology, geochronology, isotope geochemistry, melt and fluid inclusion studies, experimental petrology, phase equilibria and geodynamic modelling with the aim of better understanding early Earth processes. The session will include studies that explore a broad range of topics, from low-temperature hydrothermal processes in supra-crustal sequences to high-grade metamorphic events recorded in the deep crust and upper mantle. We invite researchers working in Archean to Paleoproterozoic metamorphic terrains to present novel findings that address outstanding questions in early Earth geodynamics.

Please visit IGC website:

http://www.35igc.org/Verso/211/Submit-an-Abstract

Please Visit the IGC Metamorphic Processes Theme:

http://www.35igc.org/Themes/27/Metamorphic-Processes

If you are interested in submitting an abstract to this session please do not hesitate to contact me at: [log in to unmask]

We look forwards to hearing from you soon.

Eugene Grosch on behalf of convenors

Tim Johnson ([log in to unmask])

Martin Whitehouse ([log in to unmask])