Here's another anecdote. The first time I analyzed hogbomite on the probe the chemical analysis was completely mystifying as to what the phase was. Didn't make any sense at all. So I looked around the thin section for a suitably oriented grain to get a good interference figure (not easy, with the deep red-brown color of the mineral and the small grain size). But with persistence I got a uniaxial negative nearly centered OA figure and looked in the trusty old Larsen-Berman tables under uniaxial negative, with a relatively high average refractive index (ca. 1.8). Out popped hogbomite as the obvious answer. So optical mineralogy and petrography combined, as Pavel points out, can be very useful if one has a suitable printed or on-line database to look through.

Bob

Dr. Robert Tracy
Professor of Geosciences
Associate Department Head