Hi all,

Just in case anyone is interest to anyone within commuting distance of Leeds….. It’s aimed at local teachers, but I thought some of you might be interested too!

Thanks, Kate

Kate Fellows

Lifelong Learning Manager, Leeds Museums and Galleries

Making the Leap: Using Science for Primary to Secondary Transition

Tuesday 9 Feb 2016, 9am arrival for 9:30 start. Close at 3pm

Leeds Museum Discovery Centre, Carlisle Road. Leeds. LS10 1LB

How can you use Science to help the transition between KS2 and KS3?

Is it all about big bangs in assemblies, or is there another way?

What resources are out there locally and nationally to help?

A lot of science is about experimenting, making an educated guess and having a go. By developing scientific enquiry skills, you can encourage an openness to new settings and experiences for children who need more support during the transition from primary to secondary school. Explore how curriculum-linked, hands-on Science can be used for school transition and to develop self-esteem, confidence, foster a love of learning and experimentation.

9:00        Arrival and coffee

9:30        Welcome and housekeeping

Kate Fellows, Learning Manager, Leeds Museums and Galleries

9:35        Keynote: tbc, a Leeds teacher’s perspective

10:15     Rocks, fossils and fracking

Meet Neil Owens, our Geology Curator, and Steve Hutcheon, our Science Learning and Access Officer, who say that looking at local geology can determine what happens in an area. We will look at linking the basics of the rock cycle, and material properties to the contemporary debate on fracking. You will get hands-on with Leeds Museums and Galleries rocks and fossils collections as we delve into the current contentious issues and how to handle these in the classroom.

11:00     Quick Break: a chance to talk (fuelled by tea and biscuits!)

11:10     Science in the workplace

Meet Emma Bowron, our Conservator, and Cara Jardine, Learning and Access Officer at Armley Mills, and discover how they use Science in their everyday work. Ideas shared can be used to foster confidence, develop work experience and scientific enquiry skills and show the relevance of Science in everyday life.

11:55     Lunch

12:45     Keynote: Annette Shelford

National Programme Developer for Real World Science at The Natural History Museum

13:30     Animals, evolution and genetics

Meet Rebecca Machin, our Natural Sciences Curator, and Andrew Kyrover, our Education and Outreach Officer from the Discovery Centre, to explore using Natural Science collections as a springboard for evolution and genetics discussions and activities. “This is me” is often a key topic for transition work. Find out how this can be linked to scientific enquiry around evolution.

14:15     Making things go bang in assemblies

Steve Hutcheon, Science Learning and Access Officer

14:30     How can MyLearning.org help you?

Jen Newby, Digital Media

14:45     Where next? Who can help? Round up and feedback

15:00     Close

Book now through Eventbrite: http://leedsmuseumsandgalleries.eventbrite.com/?s=48336395

£90.00 per individual teacher

£150.00 ticket for two teachers jointly attending

If you want more information, or are having difficulties booking, please contact: Kate Fellows, Lifelong Learning Manager on [log in to unmask]

Kate Fellows

Lifelong Learning Manager, Leeds Museums and Galleries

Please note I work Monday – Thursday.

97% of Leeds schools have visited Leeds Museums and Galleries, participated in outreach or training in the last four years. Get curious, start a conversation, be creative.

www.leeds.gov.uk/museumsandgalleries

www.mylearning.org

New homes, jobs and transport improvements are coming to east Leeds
Take part in the public consultation on the East Leeds Extension and help shape the future of east Leeds. Visit here for more information.

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.