You do not give any details of the church, however I am writing as
someone who works in a similar environment in a number of Anglican
churches as well as a secular attraction that has over 50 school visits
a year. My points are:

None of the sites I currently work with have undertaken safeguarding
training for volunteers, as at no time does any volunteer have
unaccompanied access to children. However at the secular siite
volunteers are briefed about accidental access such as use of toilets
when groups are on site.

If the church is an active church, it is the responsibility of the
Church Council (or equivalent) to have a safeguarding policy and you
will be required to work to this. All the churches I work with have
these in place.

Again many Church of England parishes will buy into a joint scheme for
Safeguarding training and it might be possible to access this. So if the
church you work with is a Church of England one, look on the Diocesan
web-site for the Safeguarding officer and contact them.

I do agree that safeguarding training is actually a good thing for all
involved in visitor attractions.

Regards

Nick

.