Note: If you are interested in being part of this panel, please contact Marta Dell'Aquila (Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne) directly at: [log in to unmask]

*apologies for cross postings*

IASFM 16:Rethinking Forced Migration and Displacement: Theory, Policy, and Praxis
Sub-theme: Citizenship, nationhood, and forced migration: Ideologies and policies of inclusion and
exclusion

Forced Migration and Politics of Multiculturalism: a recovered form of slavery for women

Abstract: the geopolitical structures of the past two years have brought to a new wave of asylum
and nationality seekers to European countries, something that was not seen from post-colonial
migrations. This phenomenon increased in the urgency to answer, in a theoretical and also practical
manner, to the question posed in 1997 by feminist philosopher Susan Moller Okin. In her article,
entitled Is multiculturalism bad for women?, she was looking for answers to questions like "Should
we respect the traditions, the beliefs and the laws of cultural minorities that come to our national
community? If so, up to what point?".

Basically, we can say that all the politics of multiculturalism carry with the claim, made in
the context of basically liberal democracies, that minority cultures or ways of life are not
sufficiently protected by ensuring the individual rights of their members and, as a consequence,
should also be protected with special group rights or privileges. Multiculturalism can be considered
as both a policy of inclusion – letting different cultures cohabiting – and of exclusion – promoting
and isolating differences.

This politics is often problematic for the so-called weakest members of minorities, women
and children. In fact, the majority of these minorities is forced to migrate to our liberal States in
order to escape to the unfavorable situation of their countries. Other than poverty, hunger, bad
healthcare, and unemployment, these weakest members of minorities are forced to migrate in order
to escape from oppressive practices of their cultures, from the most problematic like FGM (Female
Genital Mutilation), arranged and forced marriages, to the wearing of head covering veil. We will
provide the number of requests of asylum demanded by women to run away from these practices.
But what happens sometimes with politics of multiculturalism, is that these practices are
otherwise considered as a mark of the membership of a culture, and as something that we have to
protect to preserve the identity of the minority. Even if politics of multiculturalism guarantee the
protection of all members' individual rights, such as freedom of choice or the ability to leave their
culture of origin, any attempt to do so would, in practice, be prevented, because of a series of
factors and pressures developed within the domestic sphere, governed by the personal laws of the
head of the household. A fake status-quo is created, where women accept as rights the same reasons
that forced them to migrate.

In a historical context where national and communitarian-identity concepts are increasingly
strengthened, the debate on justice about gender and culture in pluralistic societies becomes very
complex and requires a multi-faced analysis of our current legislation. Women who are forced to
migrate come back to a new legalized form of slavery: multiculturalism.
This presentation aims to identify the problematic nature of multiculturalism as a politics of
inclusion and exclusion for women and children who abandon their country of origin. I will explain
what are the main reasons that force women to migrate and what is the paradox that
multiculturalism brings. I will also ask how whether public policies of a liberal State should take
into account the weight of women's pressures.

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies Centre (RSC), Oxford Department of International Development, University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources.

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Posting guidelines: http://www.forcedmigration.org/research-resources/discussion/forced-migration-discussion-list-posting-guidelines