Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM
From: "Alexander, Olwyn" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Please Feedback on My Article

Dear Tamer,

The perspective on scientific writing discussed so far has a focus on form, the passive as a grammatical device. It can sometimes be more helpful to focus on performance, i.e. what the grammatical device enables us to do. Instead of thinking of the passive as a device to remove the agent, I find it more helpful to think of it as a topicalising device (cf Systemic Functional Linguistic theory) to bring the topic into subject position.

If we see a sentence as a topic (usually the grammatical subject in a simple sentence) and a comment (the verb phrase), then the passive is one grammatical device for moving an object into topic position where it contributes to the cohesion and logical development of ideas. In scientific writing we are interested in phenomena in the natural world and how they change and develop. Aspects of these phenomena form the subjects of the sentences which are steps in a process for example. Putting them in subject position to clearly organise the ideas requires us to use the passive voice.

So subject – what we want to talk about – comes first and verb phrase – what we want to say about it and the form we use to say it –  is dependent on our choice of subject.

Best wishes

Olwyn

Ms Olwyn Alexander

Academic Director, English Section