Dear Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your comments. I find this orientation to performance and topicalisation really helpful for the students I work with – International students preparing for English-medium study. They usually come with what I would call ‘verb tense anxiety’ because their focus in learning English has been on accurate production of verb tenses and passive voice. Shifting them away from form and onto performance reduces this anxiety considerably.

I’ve published a coursebook, Access EAP: Foundations, for low proficiency levels which uses these ideas, https://www.garneteducation.com/Book/59/Access_EAP:_Foundations.html Even at low levels I believe it is possible to introduce the concept of thematic development to students. One of the examples in the book is in response to two similar essays titles:

Computer science student essay title

Software applications developed considerably in the last half of the 20th century. Outline some of these developments and explain their effect on business practices.

Business Management student essay title
Business practices changed considerably in the last half of the 20th century. Outline some of the changes and relate these to new developments in software.

The task asks students to compare the two essay titles and then say which of the two introductions below would be appropriate for each one. The analysis looks at the topics of the sentences and how ideas have moved from theme to rheme. There is also a critical thinking element as users of the book are asked whether collaboration between these example students to write very similar introductions for different essay titles is appropriate.

1.     Business practices have changed a great deal in the last 30 years and this is related to new developments in computers. Managers now produce their own reports, using word processors. Accountants prepare detailed financial information with a spreadsheet application. Everyone in a company can be contacted easily by email. In this essay I will outline these changes in detail and show that they have happened because of developments in computer software.

2.     Software applications have changed a great deal in the last 30 years and this has had a major impact on the world of business. Word processors are now used routinely by managers to produce their own reports. Spreadsheet applications are used by accountants to present detailed financial information. Email easily enables everyone in a company to contact each other. In this essay I will outline the development of software applications in detail and consider their impact on business practices.

Using this coursebook, I explored the widespread teacher belief that EAP is too difficult for students until they have at least an intermediate level of proficiency, published in the Journal of English for Academic Purposes doi:10.1016/j.jeap.2011.12.001.

Best wishes

Olwyn

Ms Olwyn Alexander

Academic Director, English Section