Call for Papers – DEVELOPMENT IN LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN: DIVERGING PATHS, ALTERNATIVE VISIONS
Section 01 - ECPR Graduate Student Conference, Tartu 10-13 July, 2016

-- Deadline for abstract submission: January, 20th - http://ecpr.eu/events/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=98 --

Dear all,

Apologies for crossposting. We would like to share with you the call for papers for our Section in Latin America for the ECPR Graduate Student Conference, to be held at the University of Tartu in July 2016. We welcome individual papers and full panel proposals, submission deadline, January 20th, 2016. The details for the conference, section abstract and proposed panels can be found below. Please share with anyone interested.

--

SECTION ABSTRACT

Latin America and the Caribbean have experienced multiple transformations and ruptures in the last few decades. Amidst a global context of economic turmoil, particularly after the financial crises of 2008-2009, the region appears to have achieved diverging results. Experiencing an economic comeback from the financial crises that hit many countries in the region at the turn of the century, many Latin American nations have seen a period of economic expansion, poverty and inequality reduction, the strengthening of regional organizations and the recovery of political projects of integration that seemed stagnated just a few years ago. Further, the Latin American 'Left Turn' has come accompanied by the consolidation of political projects at the national level and the resurgence of social movements, particularly those articulated around indigenous identities and rural areas. Yet, the 'advances' exhibited by the region at the macro level, have come together with a sharp increase in environmental conflicts, the consolidation of a development model based on the extraction of primary resources and raw materials as well as, particularly in the last few years a slow down of the economic growth rates, and a decline on the progress on social indicators. The coexistence of these diverging outcomes invites us to rethink the social and political consequences of these changes. What theories help us understand the realities experienced by/in the region? Which actors / institutions have been affected by the policies promoted in the last decades and how? To what extent do these changes invite to re-think the role of the region in the (re)production of epistemic, social, economic and political global orders?

This section calls for papers that address these contrasts and help us understand the diverging pathways and realities within the region. We encourage papers using both theoretical and empirical lenses to discuss the Latin American context. We welcome comparative analyses, as well as case studies and regional-level discussions, focusing on development studies, critical studies, political institutions, social movements, political economy, public policy, electoral studies, political ecology, anthropology and international relations.

More information: http://www.alternautas.net/events/2016/1/5/cfp-development-in-latin-america-and-the-caribbean-diverging-paths-alternative-visions

--
Ana E. Carballo
PhD Candidate

Editor at Alternautas - (Re)Searching Development: the Abya Yala chapter

This message and its attachments are private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it and its attachments from your system.

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by guarantee. Registration number: 977818 England. Registered Office: 309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW.