Or keep data unmerged, or as…images?

Space group would then become just another refineable restraint/constraint. I guess it already is that, but is refined separately from “refinement.”

JPK

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Quyen Hoang
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Spacegroups, screw axes and ordering

Given enough data and modern computing powers, why don’t we just use P1?

Quyen
On Jan 29, 2016, at 8:45 AM, George Sheldrick <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

The collection and scaling requires the Laue group but not the space group. For small molecule structure determination, many more space groups have to be considered and the choice may be ambiguous (like I222 and I212121) or difficult, so my current small molecule structure solution program SHELXT only uses the input space group to deduce the Laue group. After solving the structure with the data expanded to P1 it uses the phases to determine the space group and origin shift. In practice this is much more reliable than using systematic absences. This was not my idea (see papers by Giacovazzo and Palatinus), I just wrote a little program to implement it. How the user has chosen a, b and c is irrelevant, the program outputs the solution in the conventional setting for the space group in question (as the correct enantiomorph based on the Friedel differences where appropriate). It also finds the most compact arrangement of atoms and centers it is the unit-cell.

Whether this was worth the effort is debatable. SHELXT has been freely available for the last couple of years, but the open access paper that explains how it works (Acta A71 (2015) 3-8) is rarely cited.

George