Dear CCP4 users,

I am trying to capture small molecule bound to the protein.
These small molecules are solubilised in 100% DMSO. And the
biochemical and biophysical assays shows micromolar affinity
(two or three digit) towards the protein.

We have extensively tried soaking (max 15% DMSO), long period
soaking, growing protein crystals in the well precoated with
the ligand and cocrystallization (max 5% DMSO) experiments,
but have not succeeded to get any density for the ligand.

The molar ratio that was used in the biochemical experiment
is ~ 1:1000 (protein:ligand) in order to observe any binding.
[one of the experiment used was microscale thermophoresis]. In
these experiments the protein is in nM and small molecule is in
microM quantities.

For crystallization we are able to reach a maximum of 1:90 (in
cocrystallization). It is not possible to approach a higher molar
ratio because of the limitations of DMSO.

So is there a possibility that we can capture the ligand in the crystal?
I have come across ligands that have been captured even though
they had mM binding affinities. So can anyone please suggest
possible ways I can try to capture the small molecule.

Thank you
Regards
Kavya

believed to be clean.