> (2) hkl2000 requires a large screen.  Does it work if I connect the
> laptop with a separate large terminal that I have?
I don't see why HKL2000 would require a larger screen than what you have
in your 13-inch MBP Retina. I'd be happy to be corrected in this, but
HKL2000 asks for 1280x1024 pixels, since it has a fixed window size
(http://www.hkl-xray.com/hardware-operating-systems). A 13-inch MacBook
Pro can work at 2560x1600 pixels natively. Maybe you haven't set your
screen to the highest resolution; just go and change the screen
resolution under System Preferences > Display.

Engin