Digital Conversation 11: Portrait of the Machine as a Young Artist

Thursday, 18 February 2016 from 18:00 to 20:00

British Library (1st floor Staff Restaurant) - 96 Euston Road London, UK Lon NW1 2DB

In this evening conversation we take a look at Computational Creativity, a discipline operating at the intersection of Artificial Intelligence and Philosophy of Mind. Researchers are exploring the development of artificially cognitive systems through the construction of machines and algorithms that go some way towards modelling how our own creative processes function, resulting in creative works of art, theatre, music and poetry in their own right. Join us for presentations and a lively panel discussion on human consciousness and artistry, what it means to create, and tensions between AI and current copyright regimes.

Free, booking essential: http://bit.ly/1ZztPFv

Presentations by:

Dr. Simon Colton, Painting Fool

Dr. Cat Gale, Beyond the Fence: The World's First Computer Generated Musical

Dr. Frederic Fol Leymarie, AutoGraff and Aikon

Tom Hedges, Generating jazz lead sheets

Stephen McGregor, Vector space-models and Poetic Creativity

Dr. Burkhard Schafer, Copyright, law and ethics of machine co-production

Moderator: Dr. Anna Jordanous

Digital Conversations is a quarterly evening talk series at British Library hosted by the Digital Research Team. At these events we invite inspirational and creative individuals over to share short, thought-provoking presentations around a topic relating to the digital transformations in research.

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk
Think before you print