Dear Matt,

Hello! Aylen Capparelli had mentioned to me the use of pinones of
Araucaria in Latin America. Perhaps you contact her for more
information?

I also found the attached document by Reis, Ladio and Peroni. There
you can find a review of use of pine nuts of Araucaria and relevant
literature.

I am also attaching a rather blurred photo I took in 2009 at the
Museum of St Carlos de Bariloche in Patagonia Argentina, showing a
grinding stone with modern pinones contained inside it. It was thanks
to Aylen that I had the chance to visit Bariloche and she definitely
could direct you through the literature if indeed this is the plant
you are interested in.

Some information on this plant you can find in the following link

http://www.archaeobotany.org/posters.php

searching for our 2010 IWGP poster titled:

Plant processinig around the globe: Archaeobotanical,experimental and
ethnobotanical approaches

by Valamoti SM, Capparelli A, Wollstonecroft M

Hope this helps a little.

Best,

Tania
Quoting Matt Stirn <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I hope all is well and you enjoyed the holiday season. We are currently
> working on a study of prehistoric Whitebark Pine nut consumption in the
> Rocky Mountains with the goals of refining the archaeobotanical signatures
> of various nut processing stages and in developing biomolecular approaches
> (e.g., lipid residues) to detecting nut processing and storage. I am
> relatively familiar with the literature covering pine nut processing in the
> Rocky Mountains and Great Basin of North America, but I am wondering what
> else might be out there. Have there been any similar studies conducted or
> literature produced on pine nut consumption in Europe or Asia? I couldn't
> thank you enough for any suggestions or directions.
>
> Many thanks in advance and have a wonderful week.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Matt Stirn
>
> *Director of Archaeological Research and Education*
>
> *Director, Jackson Hole Archaeological Initiative*
>
> *Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum*
>
> Office - 307-733-2414
>
> Cell – 307-730-2019

Soultana Maria Valamoti,
Associate Professor,