A reminder that the deadline of the CFP for this amazing conference is the
1st of Feb.
And here the last update about the keynotes:

We are delighted to announce that the keynote speakers for our annual
conference, this year on the topic of Resistance
<http://www.criticalstudies.org.uk/conference.html>, will be Fred Moten
<http://english.ucr.edu/people/faculty/fred-moten/> (UC Riverside) and Becky
Taylor <https://www.uea.ac.uk/history/people/profile/b-taylor> (UEA).

Fred Moten is a critical theorist and poet, and the author of *In the
Break: The Aesthetics of the Black Radical Tradition*; *Hughson’s Tavern*; *B.
Jenkins*; *The Feel Trio*; and co-author, with Stefano Harney, of *The
Undercommons: Fugitive Planning and Black Study. *Prof Moten has published
widely around the topic black sociality and critical theory, contributing
to debates on what Jared Sexton has described as "afro-pessimism and black
optimism
<http://www.yorku.ca/intent/issue5/articles/pdfs/jaredsextonarticle.pdf>".

Becky Taylor is a social historian and the author of *A Minority and the
State: Travellers in Britain in the Twentieth Century* and *Another
Darkness, Another Dawn: A History of Gypsies, Roma and Travellers*. Her
work focuses on the histories of Roma, Gypsies and Tavellers, particularly
in relation to the state, empire, policing, xenophobia and migration.

*--*

> *Resistance*
>
> * 5th International Critical Studies Research Group Conference*
>
> * 13th-14th June 2016*
> * Grand Parade, University of Brighton*
>
> Proposal deadline: *1st February 2016*
>
> If resistance has a tradition, it is one which is not unilinear or
> uncontested. Dominant understandings of resistance are themselves resisted,
> typically when certain peoples are left outside of the history or the
> conceptualisation of resistance. This conference explores how the notion of
> resistance has been challenged, both by practices of resistance and
> theorisations of resistance (a distinction which can only be maintained so
> far).
>
> How has the advent of new technologies shifted understandings of
> resistance? Is resistance distinct from politics, and if so how do both
> operate when neoliberal rationality becomes hegemonic? Does violence
> interrupt resistance, or is it generative of resistance? What conceptions
> of the human are presumed in discourses of resistance? Can resistance be
> enacted, or contested, through memory?
>
> The Critical Studies Research Group welcomes proposals for both research
> papers as well as non-conventional forms of presentation, for example
> performances, workshops, screenings and papers that resist traditional
> hierarchies of academic presentation. Videos and performances should be
> accompanied by a short presentation detailing the work’s critical
> engagement with the conference theme. Submissions might be from a range of
> disciplines, and transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary contributions are
> also encouraged.
>
> Topics might concern, but are not limited to, the following:
>
>    - Fugitivity; the undercommons; ensemble
>    - Memory and/as resistance
>    - Resistance to (neo)liberalism
>    - Neocolonial/decolonial resistance
>    - Détournement today
>    - Conformity and social media networks
>    - Populism(s) and/as resistance
>    - Medicine and misconduct
>    - Violence and nonviolence
>    - Counter-histories of resistance
>    - Democracy and/as resistance
>    - Queering resistance
>    - Horrorism; necropolitics; precarity
>    - Resistance in/to asymmetric warfare
>    - Discriminations: ableism, sexism, ageism, racism
>    - Police and protest
>    - Intersectionality and/as resistance
>    - Youth and resistance
>    - Virality, online political movements and digital resistance
>
> Proposals should be sent as an attachment and contain a title, an abstract
> (of no more than 300 words) and a brief biography. If relevant, proposals
> can include links to give an indication of your artistic practice. The
> deadline for proposals is the* 1st February 2016*.
>
> Please send proposals to: [log in to unmask]
> <https://staffmail.brighton.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?C=VI_qYKTy2E-IBxn_eG1yDIC_y-CO9dIIzpItlycLlcw0iP-ErJMoORBD5VZQ3vRMHn1purSIBkI.&URL=mailto%3aCriticalStudiesResearch%40brighton.ac.uk>
> [...]

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*