Dear all,

The Consumer Data Research Centre  is pleased to offer the following course for public health researchers to be held at the University of Leeds on February the 17th.  The course will be delivered by Dr Michelle Morris, a research fellow in the Consumer Data Research Centre. She is an interdisciplinary public health researcher whose work focuses on social and spatial variations in diet and health.

Introduction to spatial analytics for public health researchers
This course offers an introduction to spatial analytics in a public health context. The course will begin with an overview of different spatial units and how they fit together. Public health examples will be used to illustrate the relevance of using each of these units. We will work through examples of how spatial units can be added into existing datasets. In the afternoon we will generate your first map using public health data.

Programme objectives:

·         To understand common spatial units in the UK

·         To use open resources to match data at different spatial scales

·         To generate a map of public health data (in a licenced and open source software)

Introduction to spatial analysis for public health - agenda

Time

Activity

09:00

Registration

09:30

Introduction to the importance of spatial analysis in public health research

10:00

Overview of spatial units in the UK

This will be a taught session presenting how different units fit together, their sizes and example use cases.

11:00

Data sources

This session will include practical activities to access and download boundary files to use when generating maps and also population data at different spatial units which may enrich your research data.

12:00

Lunch

12:45

Mapping software

During this interactive session we will discuss some of the pros and cons of popular GIS packages, with demonstration examples.

13:15

Practical session – generate a new map to present your data

For this session example data will be provided and the group will walk through an example and create their first map together, using R. The pace will be purposely slow so suitable for those who have not used the software before.

15:00

Refreshment break

15:30

Practical session continued

A further data example will be provided and you will be able to work more independently to generate a map. You may bring your own data for use in this session.

16:15

Recap and discussion on developing your spatial analysis skills

16:30

Close

For further information and to book please go to our store (credit/debit card payment only, please contact Eleri for alternative payment methods)

The CDRC is an ESRC funded centre and offer a range of data analytics programmes for academic and non-academic researchers. These range from introductory courses for postgraduate students through to advanced training for data scientists. For further information about our training courses please see our training pages

______________________________

Eleri Pound

Senior Administrator

______________________________

Consumer Data Research Centre

University of Leeds

Leeds Institute for Data Analytics

Leeds, LS2 9JT

T:  0113 343 0882

E:  [log in to unmask]

W: www.cdrc.ac.uk

**Visit our new website – launched October 2015**

Follow us on Twitter - @CDRC_UK

SIGNOFF allstat