Yes Jonathan, the 2006 mailbase exchange was the inspiration for the study below, but we forgot to claim your champagne. I am not sure if you ever did promise a case. Hic.

Best wishes

Eric

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shepherd, John
Sent: Thursday, January 07, 2016 1:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Redefinition of test profiles

Does this count?

Nephron Clin Pract. 2009;113(3):c203-6. doi: 10.1159/000233057. Epub 2009 Aug 11.

Is there still a role for measuring serum urea in an age of eGFR? Evidence of its use when assessing patient hydration.

Shepherd J1, Hatfield S, Kilpatrick ES.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

With the current practice of using estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) for the assessment of renal function, serum urea is arguably a redundant test. However, with little evidence, it is purported that urea can be used as a marker to aid in the assessment of hydration status. The aim of this study was to compare serum urea and eGFR with urine specific gravity (USG) to establish how each compares with this surrogate marker of hydration status.

METHODS:

The study subjects comprised 2,547 separate acute hospital attendances (1,489 female, 1,058 male; median age (IQR) 60 (39-81) years) where USG and serum urea and creatinine were measured immediately on admission.

RESULTS:

A significant rise in the median serum urea concentration was observed with increasing categories of USG (p < 0.0001). In contrast, a significant trend was not observed for eGFR vs. USG (p = 0.65).

CONCLUSION:

Serum urea concentration is significantly affected by hydration status whereas eGFR is not.